Any professional actor over 18 years of age is eligible to audition. This consists of a five-minute scene. Actors are required to choose contemporary material close to themselves in age and experience. Auditions are presided over by Board members and longtime members of the Studio.
International actors are welcome to audition only if they have already relocated (permanently, not visiting) to the New York or Los Angeles areas. We do not get involved with visa issues.
Please take a moment to read the following information about our audition process.
WHO CAN AUDITION?
- Any professional actor over the age of 18 living in the New York City or West Hollywood/Los Angeles areas (defined as a daily commutable distance to either Studio)
- A “professional” is defined as one who engages in a pursuit or activity professionally and not as a pastime.
- Please note - if you are an International actor, you must be residing in a daily commutable distance to either Studio in NYC or Los Angeles to request an audition.
HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
- Auditioning is free.
- Membership is free for life.
HOW DO I GET AN AUDITION SCHEDULED?
- The first step is to sign-up online for a Preliminary Audition – Preliminary auditions may be taken in either New York or Los Angeles.
- If you relocate to a different coast you must inform both locations of your change of address and intentions to audition.
WHAT IS THE AUDITION PROCESS?
- Actors begin our process with a “Preliminary Audition” by signing up online to request an audition.
- When our next audition date is scheduled, all applicants who have requested an audition will be notified 4-6 weeks in advance by email only. You MUST reply to that specific email via our online form to confirm your availability, scene partner and scene selection. Once we have received your form, we will reach out to schedule a time slot for a 5 minute audition.
- Every auditioner MUST have a scene partner of their choosing who is either assisting them as a non-auditioning partner or as an auditioning partner. The Actors Studio does not supply scene partners for your work. If the scene partner decides to audition with you then they need to apply separately online, too.
- A scene partner may choose to audition at the same time with you or they may choose to only “assist” you. If the scene partner decides to audition with you then they need to apply online, too.
- Results from each audition are emailed shortly after the audition, usually within a week.
- If you do not pass your preliminary audition, you may re-apply one year after your last audition date.
- You may be asked to return as a “Call-Back” with instruction from the judges so they may see other facets of your talents. Call-Backs may continue until the judges feel they have seen enough to decide whether to make you a “Finalist” or not.
- Finalists are invited in to observe our acting sessions and to work in session with a Studio member until Final Auditions are scheduled. Finals are scheduled late Spring/Early Summer in New York and in Los Angeles in January and mid-Summer.
WHAT ARE THE REQUIREMENTS TO AUDITION FOR MEMBERSHIP?
- All auditioners choose their own material to audition with. The Actors Studio is not in a position to make recommendations for you.
- All auditioners choose their own scene partner. The Actors Studio is not in a position to make recommendations for you.
- Your scene must be from a known published play (not self published nor authored by yourself) in English and be taken from contemporary material.
- Choose a role that you feel shows you to your best advantage, and one that is close to you in age, range and experience. Find the event or subtext in the scene with an emotional transition.
- Auditions must be a 2-person scene.
- Actors need to be off book and your scene must be performed in English.
- Scenes may consist of both partners auditioning or just one partner auditioning and the other assisting.
- IMPORTANT: Monologues, scenes from screenplays and/or improvisations are not accepted and will disqualify you if presented. There must be dialogue between scene partners.
- Previous training is generally considered to be essential but not required.
WHAT HAPPENS ON THE DAY OF THE AUDITION?
- Please arrive approximately 20-30 minutes before your scheduled audition time to complete some paperwork. At that time you will be given a diagram of the theatre so that you can indicate where you want your furniture placed. Any hand props you use you should bring yourself. A list of available audition furniture and props will be sent to you after your audition is scheduled.
- Auditions can run early or late so please be prepared for when you are called. No real “preparation time” is provided for you once you have entered the theatre. Once you are on the stage you have a few seconds (before the 5 minutes start) to place your hand props where you like, and then you should begin. You will be stopped if your audition goes over 5 minutes.
- Do not break your concentration by announcing yourself or your scene. The judges already have this information.
WHAT FURNITURE CAN I USE?
- The Studio has basic rehearsal furniture that you may use; chairs, a couch, a table and theatre boxes. A specific list will be sent to you prior to your audition. Please keep your set requirements and hand props to a minimum.
WHAT HAND PROPS ARE NOT ALLOWED?
- Breakable Glass
- Razor blades
- Liquid other than water
- Open Flames
- Prop Guns or Knives (we will provide if required)
CAN I REQUEST LIGHTING AND SOUND CHANGES?
- No. The stage will be adequately lit for your scene. When you arrive on stage the lights will already be set. We do not handle sound cues.
TO BEGIN THE AUDITION PROCESS
New York Auditions applications are now closed. We will re-open the online application form on August 15*. Please check back for further information.
If you have questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Los Angeles Auditions applications are now closed. We will re-open the online application form on August 15*. Please check back for further information.
If you have questions, please email: email@example.com or call 323.654.7125
*Date Subject to change. Check back closer to the date.